UBC Choirs sing Journeys of Music and Dance

On October 30, UBC Choirs put on a performance with the theme “Journeys of Music and Dance."

This was the first time that tickets have been priced for UBC concerts. However, this didn't keep the friends and family of performers away. The night started off with the Choral Union singing a selection of wedding pieces and flirtatious songs from the 19th century which transitioned into the 20th century with the Women’s Choir. A range of different music genres and time periods were included — everything from songs from the Christian tradition such as The Canticle of the Spirit and If Ye Love Me, to songs that are shower hits such as All My Loving by the Men's Choir. No doubt, they were set to cater to the various tastes of audience members.

The music also crossed geographical boundaries with a selection of pieces from South America led by the University Singers. One in particular that was a crowd favorite was Twa Tanbou (meaning “Three Drums”). What made this arrangement particularly special was the story given to the audience before the performance that helped the audience to engage with the music on a more meaningful level. However, this was not restricted only to the audience — the composer delivered coaching via Skype with the students and helped them gain insight into the music, making this a unique opportunity to learn. Sometimes it is the voices of the community that is left out, but this process allowed for a cultural translation to be retained.

Twa Tanbou was set over three different drums arguing over who is better. With each set of voices intricately weaving together, it was no doubt symbolic of how leaving our pride by our side and coming together is what makes life exciting, beautiful and dynamic. As the song progressed, the singers moved with the music and it was hard for the audience to stay in their seats and not sway along, enraptured by the movement behind the music.

Va Pensiero, the final song of the night sung by all five choirs, was a lament for the land where we come from, where a part of our heart lies and a part of our lives where we will always belong. It spoke to how music is a universal language and how integral music is to us all across the different seasons of life. The night was indeed a portrayal of music and dance — when it did not move our bodies, it certainly did move our hearts. The wide range of talent showcased and the variety of music certainly marks the UBC Choirs as performers not to be missed in the future.