Editors' Note

Welcome to the first edition of The Ubyssey’s magazine! We spent so much time editing this thing we forgot to come up with a snappy name for it. Maybe next time.

There are too many stories on this campus -- way more than we can cover. The girl struggling to connect to her heritage, while it’s all her classmates can see; the guy who can’t bear the thought of being seen as “too brown”; the girl on the bus who can’t sit down because Johnny Manspread’s taking up three seats -- for our first issue, we settled on the theme of diversity because all these stories are stories worth telling.

As The Ubyssey’s coordinating editor and noted straight white dude, this was my time to step aside and let those storytellers shine. I speak for the editorial board when I say we’ve enjoyed reading every piece immensely, and though we didn’t have room to print every submission we received, rest assured yours has impacted us, challenged us and made us think. To all who submitted: thank you for your courage, your passion and your wisdom. The world’s a better place with you in it.

One final and important note: we couldn’t have done this without the monumental contributions of our talented staff and volunteers. Every step of this project, from brainstorming pitches to proofing the final product, was touched by the hands of Ubyssey writers, reporters, photographers, illustrators, poets, designers and all the other creative types we can only pay in sushi and beer. You know who you are. We love you so much, and we thank you from the bottom of our hearts.

Much love,

Your 2016/17 Ubyssey editors

Jack Hauen, Aiken Lao, Koby Michaels, Miguel Santa Maria, Sruthi Tadepalli, Samantha McCabe, Samuel Du Bois, Joshua Medicoff, Olamide Olaniyan, Bailey Ramsay and Kate Colenbrander.