UBC men's rugby captures World Cup with second win over Cal Berkeley

For the third straight year in a row, UBC men's rugby captured the World Cup championship after competing in the second leg of the series this past weekend against the University of California, Berkeley Golden Bears at Thunderbird Stadium.

The World Cup champion is determined by a total combined score between two matches played by these teams. UBC entered the second leg with a five-point advantage. 

UBC dominated right from the start as Cali Martinez and Charlie Thorpe scored the game’s first two tries within the first 10 minutes of play. Brock Staller was good for both converts, giving UBC an early 14-0 lead. Minutes later, Cal Berkeley capitalized on a penalty called against UBC to put the Bears on the scoreboard, 14-3. 

With 10 minutes remaining in the first half of the game, UBC advantaged on a Cal lineout with three quick passes out to the right side of the field where Andrew Coe ran it in for a try. Staller nailed the convert putting UBC up 21-3.

Minutes later, UBC was under pressure as Cal was fast approaching the try line, but the steady downpour didn’t favour either team. Within the UBC 22, Cal had a ball slip that was intercepted by UBC and passed out of the danger zone. 

Before the half was over, Cal found themselves under pressure again. A knock-on turned possession over to UBC and Staller secured the points off the penalty kick. Both teams retreated to their respective locker rooms with UBC leading 24-3.

UBC didn’t let up at the half. Five minutes into play, Colm Quirke secured the team another five points and Staller the convert, UBC was up 31-3.

Approaching the halfway mark of the second half, UBC capitalized on a lineout called within Cal’s 22 and Theo Sauder was responsible for UBC’s fifth unanswered try. Adam McQueen was credited for the convert putting UBC up 38-3. 

['']
['']

Nearing the end of the game, Manar Kukhan had a stellar run down the left side of the field, which set up UBC for their next try. Kukhan tackled out of bounds let to a Cal lineout, but possession was turned over and Cole Keffer was credited with a try. This time, it was Liam Murphy-Burke stepping up for the convert and he made no mistakes. UBC increased their lead to 45-3.

Before the final whistle blew, UBC had time for a trick play off a lineout. A Cal penalty allowed UBC to kick the ball out of bounds yards from the Cal try line and this time it was captain Alex Mascott’s who secured the final try of the game. The final score was 50-3 for UBC.