Year In Review: You might have seen them all already, but here are our best photos of the year

Isabella Falsetti

Another great year with The Ubyssey has come to its end, and as the crowd on campus slowly yields itself to the heat of summer, we invite you to review some of the best photos of the year with us. The featured photos covered a variety of content — from news and culture to sports and local community events.

Hundreds marched through downtown Vancouver in January in solidarity with the Wet’suwet’en anti-pipeline protest in northern BC.
Hundreds marched through downtown Vancouver in January in solidarity with the Wet’suwet’en anti-pipeline protest in northern BC. Elizabeth Wang
Two years after the first march in response to Donald Trump’s inauguration, the Women’s March in Vancouver remains part of a global movement — but had not yet shifted its focus inwards to Canada. The rally on January 19 put the spotlight on Canadian institutions and injustices.
Two years after the first march in response to Donald Trump’s inauguration, the Women’s March in Vancouver remains part of a global movement — but had not yet shifted its focus inwards to Canada. The rally on January 19 put the spotlight on Canadian institutions and injustices. Isabella Falsetti
The 2019 U Sports men’s basketball national championship took place at Scotia Bank Centre in Halifax. Although the UBC men’s basketball team was beat out by the University of Dalhousie Tigers in the opening round game, the Thunderbirds took home the fifth title in the end.
The 2019 U Sports men’s basketball national championship took place at Scotia Bank Centre in Halifax. Although the UBC men’s basketball team was beat out by the University of Dalhousie Tigers in the opening round game, the Thunderbirds took home the fifth title in the end. Mitchell Ballachay
UBC students held a vigil on March 18 to honour the victims of the March 15 terrorist attack on two mosques in New Zealand. Amidst the anger and grief, many also pointed out the strength of the Muslim community and the need to live with compassion.
UBC students held a vigil on March 18 to honour the victims of the March 15 terrorist attack on two mosques in New Zealand. Amidst the anger and grief, many also pointed out the strength of the Muslim community and the need to live with compassion. Shamit Rahman
Holi is one of the most popular cultural celebrations on campus. This year, more than 3,000 people participated in the event.
Holi is one of the most popular cultural celebrations on campus. This year, more than 3,000 people participated in the event. Isabella Falsetti
In the 2019 AMS elections, all referenda, including the AMS Sexual Assault Support Centre, the Indigenous committee and student groups, passed — except for the AMS Bylaw changes.
In the 2019 AMS elections, all referenda, including the AMS Sexual Assault Support Centre, the Indigenous committee and student groups, passed — except for the AMS Bylaw changes. Elizabeth Wang
UBC hosted the 2018 U Sports men’s soccer national championship in October 2018. The Thunderbirds men’s soccer team lost to the University of Carleton Ravens in national quarters. The University of Montreal Carabins took home the national championship trophy.
UBC hosted the 2018 U Sports men’s soccer national championship in October 2018. The Thunderbirds men’s soccer team lost to the University of Carleton Ravens in national quarters. The University of Montreal Carabins took home the national championship trophy. Salomon Micko Benrimoh
The 2018 International Skating Union Figure Skating Grand Prix Final was held in the Doug Mitchell arena. After three days of competition, 13-year-old Canadian skater Stephen Gogolev won first place in the junior men’s division, and he currently holds the junior world records for the men's free skate and total score.
The 2018 International Skating Union Figure Skating Grand Prix Final was held in the Doug Mitchell arena. After three days of competition, 13-year-old Canadian skater Stephen Gogolev won first place in the junior men’s division, and he currently holds the junior world records for the men's free skate and total score. Elizabeth Wang
UBC’s swimming teams are national champions for the third-straight year. In the home event held from February 21 through February 23, the Thunderbirds would come out on top in the 2019 U Sports Odlum Brown Swimming Championships — the teams’ third wins in as many years.
UBC’s swimming teams are national champions for the third-straight year. In the home event held from February 21 through February 23, the Thunderbirds would come out on top in the 2019 U Sports Odlum Brown Swimming Championships — the teams’ third wins in as many years. Ryan Neale
The women’s volleyball team celebrated after a grand victory in their annual hype game — the Thunderstruck. The Thunderbirds went into the national tournament as the eighth seed, but they were able to take down the second seed Trinity Western University Spartans in a hard fought five-set game in the quarter final, and re-crowned themselves as the 2018/19 U Sports national champions. It’s the second time in three years that the Thunderbirds took home the honour.
The women’s volleyball team celebrated after a grand victory in their annual hype game — the Thunderstruck. The Thunderbirds went into the national tournament as the eighth seed, but they were able to take down the second seed Trinity Western University Spartans in a hard fought five-set game in the quarter final, and re-crowned themselves as the 2018/19 U Sports national champions. It’s the second time in three years that the Thunderbirds took home the honour. Salomon Micko Benrimoh