Five things to do to clear out those self-isolation cobwebs

Right now, we are currently experiencing something significant and life-changing. It’s hard to imagine how we will collectively make it through this and you may find yourself experiencing a lot of worry and stress about making it through this term. It can be difficult to feel fulfilled when everything (apart from schoolwork — thanks UBC!) is being cancelled or postponed. If your days are feeling empty and unstructured, read on for some ideas for things to do that might make you feel better.

We’re not mental health professionals, but these are some activities that we have found helpful!

Make your action plan

If you’re looking for a sign, this is it. Take this as your signal to start creating a plan to deal with the most pressing and urgent issues facing you right now. Work out the steps you need to take to ensure your situation remains safe. Maybe you need to apply for EI or the CERB, write to your landlord or call your boss. Stay vigilant on BC’s COVID-19 Provincial Support and Information or our rundown of funding to see current opportunities for assistance. If you’re not ready, skip this step and come back to it later.

Get your heart rate up

If you’re able to, try and do some exercise. If you live in a sparsely populated area, some fresh air can do wonders for clearing out those social-distancing cobwebs. HealthLink BC recommends that you exercise at home, or if outside to stay at least two metres from other people when walking in your neighbourhood. Try and go at a less busy time of day to avoid contact with others. If you want to try something different, there are lots of excellent — and free! — online exercise classes to keep you moving.

Bake all the goods

Maybe you have a sourdough starter at the back of the fridge or a bag of flour that is waiting to be used. Now is the perfect time to get creative in the kitchen and enjoy the home baked treats that come from it.

Treat yourself to a night of pampering.

Steep a cup of tea, draw a hot bath and dive into that book that’s been sitting on your shelf all term. Although it may be difficult, try turning off your phone to enjoy a moment of relaxation in these overwhelming times.

Reach out to someone outside your home

Staying connected to your friends and family is so helpful in a time like this. Even a quick FaceTime call can brighten up your day. If you are longing for the game day thrills that come with watching professional sports, try organizing a virtual board game night. From UNO to Cards Against Humanity, there are plenty of free online options to satisfy your competitive spirit.

Last but not least, an important priority is to look after yourself. Even if you aren’t sick, you’re likely to be experiencing a great deal of stress and uncertainty. Don’t worry about being “productive” or writing the next great Canadian novel. Look out for your community and stay vigilant for the government’s advisories. The future remains uncertain — but for now, all we can do is take each day as it comes.