Club Profiles: Learn from these informative clubs on campus

We can learn a lot from our academics, but we can learn even more from our extracurricular activities. Whether it’s learning how to write, how to defend yourself or how to dance, UBC is full of various clubs that can teach you something outside of the classroom.

Krav Maga

An interesting take on self defense, Krav Maga is designed for ultimate survival. An Israeli form of contact combat, Krav Maga is widely recognized as the most comprehensive reality based self-defense system in the world today. Interested in developing fighting skills, improving strength and tactic, and generally having a killer time? UBC Krav Maga Club is for you.

UBC Salsa-Rueda Club

For the love of dancing join the UBC Salsa Club. It’s the perfect opportunity to learn the feisty Cuban dance form, Salsa-rueda, and meet loads of people. Promising a super energetic routine, salsa-ing couples dance together and trade partners around a circle as a caller yells out moves. For all dance lovers UBC Salsa Club is the place to be.

AMS Writer’s Guild

Looking for a welcoming space to share your writing? For all those creative writers out there, the AMS Writer’s Guild is your safe haven. Monthly readings and contests will keep you inspired and on your feet. Brimming with talent and a completely non-judgemental audience, a journey of literary transformation awaits those who join this club. Check out their blog here.

UBC Red Cross Club

A mix of local and international service opportunities, the UBC Red Cross is a humanitarian club that forms a link between UBC students and the International Red Cross and Red Crescent movement. Spreading awareness about global issues, fundraising for international appeals and getting involved with local volunteer communities affiliated with the Lower Mainland Canadian Red Cross, Vancouver General Hospital, and the UBC Food Bank, are some of the things students of this club are involved in.

UBC E-sports Association

A dream come true for all gamers, the UBC E-sports Association is dedicated to fostering an inclusive gaming community. They host various events including tournaments, fan meets, icebreakers, viewing parties, mentorships, giveaways and creative contests. Get that headset on and game on — the e-sports lounge is open for all!