Places on UBC's campus to feel like the main character

Sometimes in the hustle of school and clubs, we tend to forget how universally acclaimed UBC’s campus is. The aerial shots on our Instagram feeds brought to us by the AMS serves as a nice little reminder to leave our dorms and get out (occasionally). Well, for the next time you feel the urge to have yourself a main character moment, I present to you — in increasing order of pretentiousness — a list of main-character-moment worthy spots on campus.

Rose Garden

This is as basic as it gets! It’s one of those comfort spots you can’t go wrong with. Perch yourself on the ledge next to the fence, dangle your legs and watch the sunset with a friend or alone with no headphones for that authentic Pretentious feeling.

The Engineering Cairn

Bonus points if you’re in Arts. The God complex you feel up there is unparalleled.

Tower Beach

If you have a couple of hours between classes on a weekday, Tower Beach is an amazing place to convince yourself that the person you made eye contact with at McDonald’s two nights ago after a frat party is “The One” and to make peace with the fact that you’ll never see them again because in all likelihood, you both have COVID. Romeo and Juliet have nothing on you two.

Music Building

Continuing with delusions of love, a deep late-night conversation on the benches in front of the Music Building is a far better option than telling them “I know a spot” and taking them to the Buchanan Courtyard. People can see everything in the Buchanan courtyard.

68 Bus

For some reason, taking the 68 without being weighed down by grocery bags or alcohol bottles feels alien and very main character, so give that a shot too.

Ridington Room

Now if you need to study but you’ve dressed up and don’t want to waste the one (1) good outfit you’ll wear this month on the people at the Nest, go to the Ridington Room (the Harry Potter Room) and channel your inner Ravenclaw.

Chemistry Building

For a bit of a Rory Gilmore vibe, walk down the second-floor hallway in the Chemistry Building, clutch your books to your chest and look as pick-me as you possibly can.

Hebb

The pink-lit Hebb Building is a good place to distract yourself from the midterm-season tears and convince yourself this degree is worth it because hey, if you’re crying, at least you’re looking good doing it.

MacInnes Field

If you want to judge people who are studying while you procrastinate, just lie down in the middle of the MacInnes Field, irrespective of the weather. Sunny? Great, you’ll tan. Windy? Perfect, get that wind-blown hair look. Raining? Perfect, that’s as main character as it gets!

IKB pianos

Last but not least, play the pianos in IKB. Put your headphones on and tickle those ivories. If you don’t know how to play who cares? That’s why they have the headphones there.