The funniest, bravest and dumbest UBC discipline reports

Photo courtesy Brian Turner / Flickr

All of UBC and UBC Okanagan's academic and non-academic discipline reports from 1996-2014 are available online for your perusal (thanks to /u/yvery for reminding me!). They range from your standard forged medical note to elaborate, ostentatious and sometimes horrifically stupid ideas. We've hand-picked some highlights from just the past few years so you can feel better about yourself ... or maybe worse if you made the list.

2010/11

Offence: A student committed academic misconduct in a number of courses by capturing an image of a date-stamped title page of an assignment and then submitted the assignments late. The student then used this image as evidence that they had handed in the assignment on time at the departmental drop-box and claimed that it had been lost by the department to avoid penalties. 

Discipline: A mark of zero for the written assignments. A mark of zero in the course for submission of two written assignments in the same manner. A suspension from the university for four months.

Offence: A student committed non-academic misconduct by creating fraudulent tickets to a first year social event on campus and sold some of them to make a profit. 

Discipline: A letter of reprimand.

Offence: A student committed academic misconduct by removing other students’ homework assignments in a course from the pile where the class was handing them in. They subsequently erased their names and student numbers, added their own name and student number on the cover sheet and also altered the answers on some of those assignments. They then submitted the other students' work as their own. 

Discipline: A mark of zero in the course and a suspension from the university for eight months.

2011/12

(We'd like to stress that the following situation is neither funny nor brave and should not be taken so lightheartedly as to be called “dumb.” It's been included because of its uniquely frightening scope. Trigger warning: repeated harassment).

Offence: A student committed non-academic misconduct by harassing a faculty member through email and telephone communications in spite of being told to cease contact by Campus Security.

Discipline: Instructed to cease contact with the faculty member in any form or manner and at any personal or professional level. Required to seek professional service from a licensed medical practitioner regarding the student's behavioural health.

Offence: The student committed non-academic misconduct by attending a public lecture presented by the same faculty member, in violation of the terms of the president’s letter.

Discipline: A registration block was placed on the student's transcript to prevent future registration until a medical report regarding their behavioural health assessment is submitted.

Offence: The student committed non-academic misconduct by (i) confronting the family of the same faculty member in a public place in a verbally aggressive and threatening manner as well as (ii) contacting the faculty member repeatedly through phone calls and voicemails, in violation of the terms of the president’s letter.

Discipline:A permanent registration block and notation of non-academic misconduct entered on the student's transcript, and that restrictions on their ability to enter or carry out activities upon university premises or use university facilities be upheld.

2012/13

Offence: A student committed non-academic misconduct by taking and using other students’ parking passes. 

Discipline: Restricted from parking on campus until end of year, paid a fine which represented the value of the stolen parking passes and suspended from the university for four months.

Offence: A student committed academic misconduct by using a textbook to help write an examination (really curious how they thought they were going to pull off looking at a textbook during an exam).

Discipline: A mark of zero in the course and a suspension from the university for 12 months.

2013/14

Offence: A student committed academic misconduct by (i) plagiarizing an assignment from another student and submitting it as their own work as well as (ii) forging an email to the second student as though it originated from the course instructor regarding an appointment with them to discuss the plagiarized assignment. 

Offence: A student committed academic misconduct by having unauthorized material in their possession during a final examination, using the material in writing the examination and then destroying it after the examination invigilator confiscated it from them (they destroyed it after it was confiscated. That's dedication).

Discipline: A mark of zero for the course and a suspension from the University for eight months.

Offence: A student committed academic misconduct by taking another student’s homework assignment, erasing the student’s name and student number, writing their own name on the assignment and submitting it as their own work. 

Discipline: A mark of zero in the course and a suspension from the University for eight months.

Offence: A student committed academic misconduct by logging into another student’s course accounts in two courses and then submitting poorly answered questions that might have negatively affected that student’s grade (I, for one, would pay good money to see these answers).

Discipline: A letter of reprimand.

Offence: A student committed academic misconduct by submitting a PhD dissertation that contained numerous significant sections that were copied from either their own M.Sc. thesis or were plagiarized from other publications after spending almost ten years working on that PhD dissertation. 

Discipline: Barred from applying for readmission for two years.

Offence: A student committed non-academic misconduct in violation of the Student Code of Conduct by manufacturing of fraudulent parking passes. 

Discipline: Required to pay a fine. Lost on-campus parking privileges for the remainder of the academic career at the university.

Offence: A student committed non-academic misconduct in violation of the Student Code of Conduct by attempting to join the graduation procession even though they had not attained graduation status. 

Discipline: Denied the right to access or use any of the university’s lands, equipment, facilities, services, activities, programs, meetings or events as well as those held by, on or in association with the university until the end of the academic year.

Offence: A student committed non-academic misconduct by disrupting the operations of Campus Security and posting a demeaning message on Twitter while representing themselves as a member of the UBC Board of Governors (we've all been there).

Discipline: Required to provide written letters of apology to Campus Security and to the UBC Board of Governors.

This list will be updated once UBC releases the 2014/15 report.