How to eat healthy while living in residence

As a student, I can personally say that my physical health is pretty low on my priority list when there are meetings to attend and papers to research. I experienced the freshman 15 thanks to a diet of granola bars, chips and the occasional banana. If you are looking for a more convenient way to eat healthy while living is residence, check out some affordable and tasty options below:

Not Just for Dorm Dwellers - Open Kitchen at Orchard Commons

Nestled in the lower floor of Orchard Commons, this commissary is reminiscent of a Silicon Valley cafeteria. While a staple for students living in residence, Open Kitchen is quite literally open to everyone. The menu features fresh items from zoodles to sandwiches to stir-fry.

Grab & Go - The Delly

An old SUB creation and a UBC staple, The Delly is the go-to for all things sandwich. However, their selection of soups and salads are not to be undermined as a side dishes. For less than $5, they're serving up take-aways like chickpea salads and chicken corn chowder. A commuter classic conveniently tucked in the Nest — but you already knew that.

Mindful Spoonful - Sprouts

While Sprouts is scheduled to open in the old SUB in January, Seedlings Eatery will be up and running in mid-September, atop the Thea Koerner Graduate House. In addition to the regular menu, Community Eats are held every Friday lunch hour by donation. If you’re like me and live life through Amazon Prime, Sprouts offers a weekly subscription box delivered right to your door.

Healthy Made Easy - UBC Food Services Nutrition and UBC Thunderbirds Nutrition

Registered dietitians, Melissa Baker and Emma McCrudden, work tirelessly to improve the health and nutrition of UBC staff and students alike. To answer your questions from meal planning to food allergies, Melissa can be found on her blog, by email or appointment. Emma McCrudden works with the Thunderbird Varsity athletes and has created a website with lots of resources to support physical activity and sport. For those looking to shop a balanced diet on a budget, you can join a UBC dietetic student for a free hour-long workshop at Save-On-Foods in Wesbrook Village. On the day you attend you will also receive 10% off your grocery bill!

For the Locavore - UBC Farm Markets

If you haven’t heard already, the UBC Farm provides various campus outlets with seasonal vegetables. With a pocketful of change you can pick up a bunch of kale or a couple radishes. If you’d rather spend your Saturday mornings sleeping in, you can catch the farm stand on campus every Wednesday from 11:30 a.m. to 1 p.m. until November 1.

Clean eating doesn’t have to mean you’re forever banned from Rain or Shine. Healthy moves can be as simple as skipping the cream and sugar in your daily coffee or saying yes to the salad bar instead of the fast-food trucks on campus. Just remember that moderation is key and when in doubt, Dominos is just a call away.