Club Profiles: The most outdoorsy clubs on campus

Do you love nature? Do you live for that morning hike? Have you ever wanted to be just like Bear Grylls from Man vs Wild?

If you answered yes to any of the above, we have got you covered. UBC has a variety of clubs that focus on the outdoors with all different kinds of activities ranging from hiking to balancing on a slackline up in the air. So, take a break from studying and join one of these clubs that allow you to explore BC.

AMS Varsity Outdoor Club

UBC’s Varsity Outdoor Club (VOC) is a student run club for lovers of the wilderness. Membership gets you access to all their trips, which run almost every weekend. The trips range from hiking, rock climbing, mountaineering, back-country skiing, paddling, bike-touring and more activities that get you off campus and outside of UBC's bubble.

Although certain trips might be challenging, the club offers opportunities for students of all varying levels, so don't fret over not having enough experience.

Sisu Girls Of UBC

Through participation of outdoor activities, members of the Sisu Girls empower one another through their values of “courage, bravery and resilience.”

They do activities like hiking, yoga, rock-climbing and even skateboarding, surfing and hockey. The Sisu Girls aim to get out of their comfort zone and find strength within themselves.

Slackline UBC

UBC’s Slackline club gets students practicing their balance by walking on slacklines which are similar to tightropes set up at the Nest. They later test their capabilities when they go on high-line missions in the outdoors.

They’ve been to places like Cypress falls, Brandywine Falls and the Botanical Gardens at UBC. All levels of experience are welcome as they first start practicing on lower, easier slacklines.

UBC Aqua Society: Scuba Diving Club

Enjoy the great outdoors by exploring the underwater world. The UBC Aqua Society teaches all levels of scuba diving and plans trips to dive in places across BC and the tropics.

When purchasing a membership, you get access to the monthly meetings, newsletters, events and discount on rentals. You can take introductory level courses or just go on fun dives and trips.

UBC Sailing Club

Membership at the UBC Sailing Club gets you full access to water sports such as windsurfing, kayaking, stand up paddle boarding and sailing. The club runs all throughout the year, offering affordable lessons and rentals for all UBC students in the club and are one of the largest clubs at Jericho Sailing Centre.

Joining one of these clubs is a great way to de-stress from school, a cool way to meet people with the same interests as you and a way to experience the outdoors during your time at UBC.