Patios near campus with the best food and drink

Summer: a time filled with backyard barbeques, days spent tanning (or burning) at the beach, and most importantly, when our cherished patio season begins. There’s nothing better than getting day-drunk while eating delicious food, getting some sun and forgetting about that summer school homework for a little while. Vancouver, along with its great food scene, has a lot of awesome patios located near UBC. Get together with some friends and try out these patios that are close to campus.

Browns Socialhouse

Browns Socialhouse is one of the many food chains born in Vancouver that continues to dominate our local food scene due to its great food, drinks and atmosphere. With daily drink specials and happy hour, it’s a great place to grab a drink on a budget. With a heated patio and beautiful hanging lights, it’s a wonderful place to enjoy some food and drinks with friends.

Local Public Eatery

If you’re ever down by Kits Beach, make sure to hit up the Local for a meal and cocktails. Conveniently located at Yew and Cornwall, it’s a two-minute walk to the beach and is known for having one of the best patios in Kitsilano. With an energetic sports-bar atmosphere, a menu filled with pub classics and a great range of drinks available — some of which come in a glass shaped like a boot — it’s perfect for relaxing after a day at the beach.

Mahony and Sons

Situated right on campus by the small bus loop, this UBC favourite has a great patio for patrons to enjoy. With a large selection of different beers, wines, whiskeys and cocktails, as well as a menu filled with all sorts of pub fare, this is an excellent choice for students who want the convenience of getting tipsy right on campus.

Darby’s Public House

Located at MacDonald and West 4th, Darby’s has a lovely rooftop patio for those who like to eat and drink with a view. All their food is made with local and sustainable ingredients and they have drink specials everyday. Also, if you ever want to unleash your inner diva, make sure to visit on Sundays after 9 p.m. when they have karaoke nights.

The Galley

After a long day of sailing, playing beach volleyball and enjoying the other amenities offered at Jericho beach, don’t forget to stop by The Galley for some seaside cuisine and beverages. With an ocean view patio and a selection of beers and wines, this is a delightful spot to enjoy with friends. They also feature brunch on weekends before 11:30 a.m. — be sure to check that out as well.