Check out Sprouts for a cheap, healthy and sustainable meal

Looking for a place to eat that’s affordable, sustainable and healthy? Sprouts might just be the place for you.

UBC sprouts is a student organization, run completely by volunteers. They strive to promote awareness of local, organic, fair-trade foods to the UBC community. Their café is located in the LIFE building, on the basement level. Sprouts has an offshoot café called Seedlings, located in the Thea Koerner House.

The food at Sprouts is made by the students and purchasable at their location in the LIFE building. As mentioned before, all products are affordable and healthy. Certain food options offered are stews, curry’s, salads and even baked goods like cookies and waffles. They also offer coffee for 75 cents. It’s a very welcoming atmosphere and people often go there to chill, eat, study. They welcome anyone to the Sprouts community and say it’s even a good place to meet people with the same interests as you!

On Friday’s, they partner with Community Eats – another project run 100 per cent by UBC students. They get donated food from distributers like Terra Bread and other local grocery stores. They have free produce and by-donation meals such as stews, bread, fruits and baked goods. Anyone can come and and have some food, all you need is your own container. The purpose is to prevent food from going to waste at the end of the day. So, bring your container and make sure to stop by Sprouts on by-donation Friday or chill at their café any other day of the week!