Stress eat healthily this finals season

With exam season fast approaching, it’s easy to get into the habit of either stress-induced overeating or forgetting you haven’t eaten a proper meal until your stomach starts growling in the middle of your stats final.

This year, don’t make yourself sick on Red Bull and ramen — instead keep full by eating smaller meals throughout the day with these snack ideas, and only treat yourself to a pint of ice cream after the exam is long over to take your mind off of whether you should have switched the answer from A to C.

Fruit and peanut butter

Of all the things you can dip into or spread peanut butter on, apples, bananas or any other fruits that pair well are the healthiest options. Switch it up and try a different nut butter like almond or cashew and if you run out of fruit, a spoon straight from the jar is a quick and easy way to get your protein.

Popcorn

Get your whole grains and satisfy your salt craving with this movie theatre treat, just with a little less cholesterol-packed butter. You can buy pre-popped bags or make your own. You don’t need a fancy popcorn maker, just buy kernels and make it in a pot on the stove.

Carrots and hummus

Bags of baby carrots are incredibly versatile. Dip them in one of the thousands of different flavours of hummus available now from garlic to roasted red pepper. Or, if you have access to a blender, DIY your own by melding various flavours together.

Trail mix

Go crazy in the bulk section and grab all your favourite dried fruit and nuts to mix together into your own trail mix creation. At least this way, if you do it yourself, you won’t have to waste time picking out the inedible mulberries or cashews from the pre-made versions.

Granola cookie bites

Don’t dip into your dwindling savings buying all-natural packaged granola bites when you can make your own the same ingredients. All you need is oatmeal base, a sweetener like honey and whatever fillings your heart desires. The best thing about granola bites is that they are no-bake so no oven is required. As a first step, try out this tried and tested Ubyssey version.

Avocado Toast

Avocado toast may have a reputation for being a millennial aesthetic, but you can make a Snapchat-worthy version for a decent price by yourself with some whole grain bread. Avocados are also full of Omega-3 fatty acids and will keep you full as you power write your final essays.