Textbook buying etiquette 101

Trying to unload your old textbooks through Facebook or Craigslist can be a pleasant experience or a nightmare, depending on your buyer. Here are a few simple rules to make life easier for you and the person selling you the book.

Don't be late. Just don't. We're students too and we very well might have lugged around your textbook for hours and commuted from cities away. Please respect our time.

Bring exact change. Don't show up with a hundred dollar bill and expect us to a) have change or b) be comfortable accepting large bills from you. There are places everywhere to get change yourself, you're smart and in college -- take it as your own responsibility.

Don't be flakey. If you've ever sold a textbook you know how frustrating this is. If you've made a commitment follow through with it.

Don't lowball. We're broke college students too. If you think a price is unfair, ask kindly for a price you think is fair. If we don't accept it, move on.

Just be considerate. Remember that everyone you're buying from is a student at your school, possibly in your faculty. You'll be seeing them around -- don't think that you can be rude and never have to see them again. Who knows, maybe one day they'll be interviewing you for something. Treat your seller the way you want a buyer to treat you.

Thanks, and have a great week!

The authorship of this article was originally misattributed to Jack Hauen. The Ubyssey regrets this error.