Pokémon GO has undoubtedly taken the campus — and the world — by storm overnight. Lucky for you, UBC is one of the best places in Vancouver to play! With frequent lures, competitive gyms and PokéStops galore, you're well on your way to catching 'em all in no time. Here's what you need to know before you GO.
A wonderful thing is happening all across campus where students are banding together to set up multiple lures at close-quarter PokéStops in central areas on campus. While this produces a Pokémon catching gold mine, the large number of people in the area cause the app to crash frequently. Patience is surely key to milk these hot spots. Here are some of the regular locations for central lures:
- Outside of Irving K. Barber Library entrance on the Southwest side, below the clock tower.
- The walkway across from the entrance to Triple O's
- The plaza in between the UBC Bookstore and the Robert H. Lee Alumni Centre
- Hugh Dempster Pavilion
While the battle for the IKB gym (It's a Mystery) is savage, there are many other gyms worth fighting for on campus.
- Iona Building
- Beaty Biodiversity Museum
- East Mall: Remember (Allard Hall)
- Djavad Mowafaghian Centre for Brain Health
- Twin Thunder and Lightening Birds (Thunderbird Arena)
- Man Meets Bear (Totem Park)
- Pacific Bell and Tower
- Asiatic Head (Asian Centre)
- WWII searchlight tower on Wreck Beach
With summer classes being so long, some clever students have been known to mercifully plant a lure at a PokéStop close to a classroom so that everyone in a lecture can reap the rewards. Just be sure to at least try and pay attention in class though.
Koerner's Pub team shots
Feeling some team pride? If you catch a Pokémon in the pub and take a screenshot of it, Koerner's will give you a free team-themed shot! Whether you're Mystic, Valor or Instinct, celebrate your team colour by throwing it down the hatch.
Instinct shot: Banana liqueur and vodka
Mystic shot: Bols blue curaçao, vodka and pineapple juice
Valor shot: Red Sourpuss and vodka
Remember to watch where you're going and stay safe when catching Pokémon on campus!