Ways to get the rest you need without the fall reading break you don't get

It feels like it was only yesterday that we were all anxiously awaiting Slacknotes alerts for that coveted spot to open up, and now we’re already at midterms. With stress, workloads and anxiety peaking, some might say this would be a great time for a reading break! The UBC academic calendar, however, would disagree. As one of the only universities in Canada without a fall reading break, we’ll have to cope in other ways. The Ubyssey has put together a list of things to help you do just that with something to fit into every schedule.

Decompress — Time commitment: less than an hour

Pressed for time with an unforgiving midterm schedule this week? Try taking a quick study break to decompress — you’ve earned it! Let’s face it — you probably would have spent the time just scrolling through Facebook otherwise.

Try re-energizing with a cup of tea, get your blood pumping with a run around the periphery of campus or find some balance with a yoga class through the UBC Yoga Club or UBC Rec. Super short on time? Take 5 or 10 minutes and try meditating. If you’re completely new to meditation, apps like Headspace and Calm (both free) will give you some direction.

Socialize — Time commitment: 1–3 hours

While it’s easy to get tunnel vision this time of year, it’s important to remember that your “Intro to Politics” midterm is really not the defining work of your academic career. Spending a few hours catching up with friends can help put things in perspective and remind you that everyone is going through this fun time together. For a low-budget evening with pals, consider a movie night at home — make some yummy snacks, slip on those fuzzy socks and load up the Netflix. Alternatively, invite everyone over for a potluck, taco night, pizza night or some other variation. Make too much food? Turn that into leftovers for the rest of the week and voilà — dinner solved!

Explore — Time commitment: 2–5 hours

Stress? What stress? If you started hitting up the library weeks ago and you’re just looking for a break from academics, you don’t even have to leave campus for a bit of exploration. With the Beaty Biodiversity Museum, the Museum of Anthropology, Belkin Art Gallery and Pacific Museum of Earth, there’s no shortage of well-regarded museums on campus to expand your mind. The Chan Centre is another great — yet underused — resource at UBC. Check out their website here for free shows.

Nature more of your thing? Check out the Botanical Garden, Greenheart Treewalk or the Nitobe Japanese Garden that are all free when you flash your student card at the entrance. Feeling very confident about the state of your exam preparations? Get in some hiking done at Grouse, Whytecliff or Capilano River before the weather turns.

Take a deep breath, get some sleep and remember to stay hydrated. Good luck on your exams!