Art in a Microwave: visiting the “For to do” exhibit at the AHVA Gallery

Art: a monosyllabic three-letter word nobody can conclusively provide an exact definition for. Sure, everyone has a general idea in their mind of what art is, but individual opinions differ widely and where one person sees a single colour canvas, another sees an astonishing masterpiece. Especially when it comes to modern art, the boundary between art and the mundane is blurry and constantly evolving. One fascinating dimension of art today is the choices artists make about media and presentation, and the implications such choices have on the experience of the viewer.

Last Wednesday, the “For to do” exhibit, showcasing the current research and artwork of five first-year MFA candidates, opened in the AHVA gallery. Located on the ground floor of the Audain Art Centre on campus, the AHVA gallery is a large rectangular room with dim lighting, fingerprinted walls and a high ceiling. Within this space, Matt Browning, Steven Cottingham, Jessica Evans, Brian Lye and Carolyn Stockbridge have put together an eclectic collection of 14 works in a diverse selection of visual media ranging from fibres to film.

Every piece stands out and incites reflection as to the creative process embedded within it. The far wall is filled by an enormous oil painting, a sand creation entitled “Toe” takes up one corner and a circle of garden speakers in the shape of rocks draws attention to the centre of the room. A looping projector hums and ticks in the background, reeling off a 16mm film loop of a nondescript microwave on a patterned tablecloth and a series of colourful explosions contained inside it. In the film, hands set the timer and the plate begins to rotate behind the glass. After it is complete, the film repeats itself and the hands reset the timer again and again.

Sometimes modern art isn’t supposed to come easily. It demands the active engagement of its audience. 

After entering “For to do,” visitors are handed an exhibition plan providing a brief overview of each artwork, including the name of the artist, the title of the piece, the material or medium, as well as the year it was created in. However, there are no glass plaques explaining the motivations of the artist or detailing the meaning behind a work. There is no art history book available for purchase at the gift shop in which the meaning of art, life and everything is neatly revealed on 200 pages of glossy paper. There is no guarantee that after leaving the exhibit, visitors will be any wiser as to what the definition of art should be.

Instead, the experience offers a glimpse of what it can be like to explore art as a student. There is so much possibility for creation and so many different ways to express that creation in a world where everybody lives and communicates through a wide range of media. “For to do” is a fascinating addition to that multitude.