Block Party wasn’t the only way people celebrated the end of semester

Well, we’ve practically made it, almost an entire school year has come and gone. Sure, finals are here, but before them, all classes came to a glorious end. Friday April 10 was, officially, the last day any student has to worry about attending lectures -- you said goodbye to those unnecessarily stressful iClicker questions and, most importantly, tutorials, discussions and labs are now a distant memory.

Last day of classes (LDOC), for some, marks the day of the infamous annual AMS Block Party. Early bird tickets sold out in a matter of minutes and general tickets sold out within a few days -- and many people planned on skipping any and all their classes for the day of Block Party.

Lindsey Baines, a first-year Arts student, not only chose to skip classes for the day, but said she cancelled her plans for after Block Party had ended. According to Baines, her change of heart came from her friends who told her that: “once you go to Block Party, you won’t make it out alive if you want to go to a concert after.”

As for those who had not gotten their tickets, what was going on besides Block Party? Yes, believe it or not, Block Party wasn't the only thing students had in mind for their last day of classes. Well, that's if they even had anything planned at all.

Katherine Poole, a first-year Arts student stated that she was still unsure about her plans, but would likely be “studying or going out with friends.”

Students’ plans for Friday (besides Block Party) seemed to be fairly low-key. Many people mentioned studying, handing in assignments, sleeping, more studying and even a bit of sobbing.

“I guess I’ll just be home crying about finals,” said Annu Shrestha, a first-year bachelor of international economics student.

On the other hand, a member of the Greek community planned his last day of classes slightly differently. He would not Block Party -- nor would he be doing much of the prior things mentioned -- he would instead attend the Arts County Fair (ACF).

“For the last day of classes, I’m going to stay at the Sigma Chi house the night before, and wake up for ACF, which is a big event in the Greek village,” said Matthew Gooding, a first-year Arts student and a member of Sigma Chi.

That said, members of the Greek village are some of the very few students who actually had any pre-determined plans for Friday. Everyone else seemed to be ‘going with the flow’.

Students’ plans for this year’s LDOC, more or less, felt laid-back and exuded a ‘whatever happens, happens’ vibe, so it was a struggle trying to find at least one student with some huge, life-changing and exciting plans for day. Akash Sharma, a first-year Science student, changed all of that.

“I’m probably going to the beach -- Wreck Beach -- with my dog,” said Sharma, and if that’s not the best plan you have ever heard, then what is?