2015 book supplement

This year, there was an abundance of UBC alumni and profs who were shortlisted for the BC Book Prize awards. From children's literature to fiction, alumni and profs have written some interesting novels. We've rounded up just a few of the nominees into this year's book supplement.

Eileen Kernaghan - In an endless sea of pale girls peering out from under dark bangs plastered on every book cover in the young adult section of Chapters, Eileen Kernaghan’s newest novel, Sophie, in Shadow, stands out against the masses. It’s no secret that young adult fiction is enjoying the spotlight, but Kernaghan is an old pro at weaving intriguing tales that teens and adults can enjoy.

Read full article

Aaron Chapman - Aaron Chapman was nominated for the 2015 Bill Duthie Booksellers’ Choice Award for his new book Live at the Commodore: The Story of Vancouver's Historic Commodore Ballroom. Not your dreadfully dry history tome, Live at the Commodore delves into the razzle dazzle, prohibition rebellion, crowdsurfing history of this nightlife establishment in a prose akin to cinematic storytelling.

Read full article

['']
['']

Kayla Czaga - Composed of poetry written over the span of almost five years, Czaga describes For Your Safety, Please Hold On as a coming-of-age portrait of herself, as well as reflections of other people.

Read full article

Gabrielle Prendergast - Compare that to her most recent project: a two-book series of provocative young-adult novels, Audacious and Capricious, that deal with religious prejudice, eating disorders, drinking and quite a bit of sex, and the difference is as clear as night and day.

Read full article