Canadian band July Talk played Friday as a part of the AMS Frost Fest

It’s not often that the Pit plays host to top quality performers, but Friday night's guest managed to get an audience to both sit on the floor and jump like no other Pit performer has. Canadian alternative rock band July Talk wrapped up AMS Frost Fest this past Friday with an energetic bang.

Frost Fest, hosted by the AMS, was the equivalent of September’s first week events and it culminated with a performance for the Toronto band on January 9. Vancouver electropop group Dear Rouge opened for the band.

With hard rock stylings reminiscent of 1970s rock and male vocalist Peter Dreimanis’ deep raspy notes contrasted by Leah Fay’s high, feminine notes, July Talk has created a strong fan base -- apparent by the dedicated crowd at the Pit on Friday. Strong vocals and stage personalities made for an energetic show.

Though the group exudes early rock and roll stage performances and has strong vocals, their music leaves something to be desired. While catchy it is not necessarily revolutionary -- their songs tend to run together, sounding eerily familiar with repeating notes and riffs. The group's live performance, however, more than makes up for their lack of song diversity.

July Talk put on a great performance and their style is suited for a venue like the Pit, however it’s quite clear from the vocals and the audience's response that this band will be playing larger stages from here on out.