Famed Taiwanese writer Giddens Ko is coming to UBC this week

Mention the name “Jiubadao” in front of any Chinese reader, and a conversation is bound to unfold. Jiubadao is one of the most talked about writers in the Chinese-speaking world and his works accompany many through their high school years. “Jiubadao” literally means “nine knives” in Chinese. As ferocious and versatile as his pseudonym suggests, Taiwanese writer and film director Giddens Ko is known for his unapologetic frankness, with expertise spanning romance, thriller, wuxia, science fiction, and social activism.

A prolific writer since 1999, Ko has published more than 40 books -- insisting on typing 3,000 to 5,000 words per day -- and has been dubbed the next Louis Cha, a legendary Chinese novelist and UBC honorary professor.

Assisted by Vancouver Taiwanese Youth Association (VTYA) and UBC Literature Etc. (UBCLE), Ko will be visiting UBC, as part of his Battle Once More North American tour, sharing with his overseas readers about his writing and life philosophy.

Jason Wu, director of VTYA, said that Ko will be talking about his journey to becoming a famous writer and how he deals with the challenges brought on by his surging fame.

Angela Liu, a third-year Japanese studies student who is an administrative adviser for UBCLE, said that despite Ko’s tarnished image due to a recent cheating scandal, his status in Chinese literature remains solid. “It [would be] meaningful for people who enjoy his masterpieces to come out and listen to what he has to say,” she said.

While aiming to promote Taiwanese arts and culture, Wu said that the event targets Chinese-speaking UBC students and will not be providing English interpretation service due to time constraints.

Liu encourages the audience to familiarize themselves with Ko’s literary and cinematic works prior to attending the event so that the audience knows where he’s coming from and can have a better understanding of his thoughts and ideas. Still, for those clueless about Ko’s works the event can stand alone well as an inspirational talk, according to Wu.

“The dialogue of [our] generation [seems to be that we] cannot follow the old generation’s path," said Liu. "But, at the same time, there’s not really a third option for us, so a lot of students are probably really troubled.”

Avid Jiubadao fans can expect a 30-minute Q&A session followed by another 30 minutes for autograph collection.

Battle Once More will take place at Earth Sciences Building 1013 on May 16. Tickets are $15 and can be purchased online.