From the Cult: VP AUA interviews

The vice president academic and university affairs acts as the voice of students to UBC’s administration: they sit on committees, provide information to their peers about UBC’s administration and respond to emails from deeply confused students.

To confirm the qualifications of all our candidates, I asked them some of the most pressing questions on the minds of students at UBC. Not the ‘real facts’ like they do over at Ubyssey news; more like, how good is pineapple on pizza, really? What podcasts should they be listening to? Where should they be crying after midterm season?

Anushreya Arora

Are you for or against pineapple on pizza?

Against. I will never, ever… never mix something sweet with something spicy. I mean, like, why would you mix chicken with pineapple?

What is your favourite podcast?

If I have to listen to a podcast, I'll listen to something motivational — otherwise I won't really.

Best spot to cry on campus?

Somewhere where you’re totally alone. I think majorly the Swing [Space] Building because it’s [so] bad, or Buchanan because it’s secluded.

What word do you start with on Wordle?

I don’t play Wordle yet.

Who is your favourite UBC celebrity?

The Rat from Orchard Commons… They made the entire joke of Ratatouille out of it.

Anisha Sandhu

It's really good on Hawaiian pizza, but I absolutely hate it on vegetarian pizza. Like I think it just depends…. It’s both a yes and no.

What is your favourite podcast?

My podcast! I did a podcast for the UBC Farm. It's a two part little mini series and it was super super fun because UBC historically [was] a predominantly agricultural space that just got smaller and smaller. So that was a super fun project to connect with some people who are part of really changing what the campus looks like and how they value agriculture.

Best spot to cry on campus?

I would say the Rose Garden. Why not cry while you have a beautiful view, and people probably won't be able to hear you and you can just be by yourself… I guess I can be vulnerable and say I have cried at the Rose Garden. I am in full support.

What word do you start with on Wordle?

I don't play Wordle… I just did not start. I think I was late to joining TikTok, and then that got addicting and now I need to take a step away. So I was a bit skeptical about Wordle.

Who is your favourite UBC celebrity?

Dean Rickey Yada. He's famous for his shorts and high knee socks… he’s Dean of [Land and Food Systems]. That’s the faculty I come from, if it wasn't apparent through the podcast.

Dana Turdy

Against. Vehemently against. That’s on the record.

What is your favourite podcast?

I listen to a lot of political podcasts. I'm a poli-sci and sociology major, so that's the bulk of what I listen to. There's this great one called The Deprogram. That one's great… My Favorite Murder is really good as well. I'm definitely a huge crime nerd.

Best spot to cry on campus?

Have I cried on campus yet? That's a good question! I definitely have. Personally, The Nest third floor bathroom is [usually] pretty empty. So just sneak into the handicap stall, get a good cry, and go about my business because we are students and we're very busy. You have to schedule your crying times.

What word do you start with on Wordle?

I've heard very different opinions on this. I try to change it up… I heard ‘radio’ is a good one, and I've tried it and it works pretty well. You get three vowels with one word — it’s great.

Who is your favourite UBC celebrity?

I'm a fan of Kip the Coyote. I think that coyote is just limping around doing its best, kind of reminds me of myself, you know, the underdog. Or actually, the AMS archivist, [Sheldon Goldfarb] has a book published on everything UBC called [The Hundred-Year Trek: A History of Student Life at UBC]. He's an amazing person and a great author, so that would be my more serious answer.

Kamil Kanji

I think pineapples on pizza are great when you're in Hawai’i, but when you are not in Hawai'i… I think they make no sense at all.

What is your favourite podcast?

Part of my life experience has been with Rotary International… and there’s a really cool podcast called I’m a Rotarian that just interviews a bunch of really cool people who've done some really awesome things in Rotary, like talking about how important toilets are in developing nations, or how to lead or how to build strong teams.

Best spot to cry on campus?

Anywhere. I think wherever you go on campus, you will see people in tears.… My preferred spot is probably IKB, because I feel like a lot of people can resonate there and you see a lot of people very stressed all the time.

What word do you start with on Wordle?

Oh, I do ‘trade’ every time. It covers everything. And if it doesn’t have any of the letters, well, I’m screwed.

Who is your favourite UBC celebrity?

Considering I'm a poli-sci major, I would have to say Kim Campbell. You know, UBC [alum], first female prime minister.

From the Cult is The Ubyssey’s unofficial AMS Election coverage. For official elections coverage, visit the news section and follow us @UbysseyNews on Twitter.