Should you go ale out with Oktoberfest?

You might have been thinking of digging out your favourite lederhosen and feathered cap recently, because Oktoberfest is finally here. Now is the time for you to eat bratwurst and sauerkraut until you’re stuffed, or to end up drinking beer until you can’t anymore!

The first Oktoberfest took place in 1810, when the citizens of Munich were invited to attend the royal wedding of Prince Ludwig and Princess Therese.

“It was intended to be a one-off thing - to celebrate the wedding - but it was so popular that I believe two years later they already offered it again and then it continued ever since and grew consistently longer,” said Dr. Florian Gassner, senior instructor of German, who comes from the German province of Bavaria.

According to Dr. Gassner, the original festival was only a few days long, took place on a meadow just outside the city, and included events like horse riding and shooting.

When asked why Oktoberfest has become such a global phenomenon, Dr. Gassner said that Oktoberfest eventually just became more marketable.

“With globalization, local traditions become more attractive again,” he said. “… [Oktoberfest] became a little, compartmentalized marketing tool, which you could then export into other places.”

If you are considering attending an Oktoberfest event and dressing up in full Bavarian attire, you would have Dr. Gassner’s blessing.

“The dressing up part is perfectly harmless and quite lovely actually, because traditions are meant to be adapted. And people look good in lederhosen and dirndls!”

Vera Weidmann, a German student who is also from Bavaria and who is studying public policy and global affairs at UBC, is slightly more skeptical of how North Americans celebrate Oktoberfest.

“To me Bavaria is more than just a festival - it’s how people are. The mentality, the language … you can’t just copy paste it,” she explained.

She also said that she would prefer if individuals avoided sexualizing the dirndl, the traditional Bavarian dress often worn for Oktoberfest.

When asked how she thought Canadians could celebrate Oktoberfest respectfully, Vera said it was all about finding good pretzels.

“Get good pretzels, get good German beer. … Actual Bavarian beer!”