Log in to the world of fiction and fantasy through UBC’s Game Writing Academy

UBC has launched a new continuing studies program -- Game Writing Academy -- for the growing interest in the technological industry.

The Game Writing Academy is a six-course online program where students will learn to create the soul and story behind games. Through online forums, students immerse in discussions about existing fictional characters, typical game environments and popular storylines that the general audiences love. From these inspirations, students then generate their own ideas for games. From character profiling to extraordinary world-building and intriguing plots that may leave the audience enraptured, this program offers students the opportunity for limitless imagination.

According to Sean Smillie, instructor for the program, Game Writing Academy is “the kind of program I wish had existed dozens of years ago, when I was becoming a writer for games.... It’ll give [students] a really solid understanding of what they would be getting into if they were going to work in the industry."

Smillie has been in the game industry for over 13 years as creative director, producer and game designer on several projects. His background experiences offer an advantage for students who are interested in joining the industry. They can expect to receive proper guidance and be steered towards the right direction if they wish to pursue a similar career path.

Although the program appears to be geared towards students with backgrounds in computer science, it is recommended for everyone who wishes to test the waters of the game industry. Game Writing Academy serves as an introductory program for computer science students who wish to enhance their knowledge on the narrative side of game development, students who have always wanted to try entering the game industry or for anyone who wants to write fiction in a different style from other creative writing forms.

Throughout the course, students can expect assignments that challenge their innovative minds in creation, development and direction of plots. There are no requirements necessary to enter the program, nor will there be any courses directed at coding or programming. The program aims to give students the right amount of understanding on how development teams work, the knowledge of the industry and a portfolio as steps towards this career path in game development.