Fashion: How to pull-off the Ugly Christmas Sweater

“Oooh baby it’s cold outside” and surprisingly I can say that in Vancouver. Yes ‘tis the season for sweater weather and holly jolly times (is anyone appreciating my attempts at festive puns?). It’s the most wonderful time of the year for excusing yourself to wear lots of glitter and frumpy knit sweaters. 

Yes, the time of the UCS is here and by UCS I mean the Ugly Christmas Sweater. So pull out the one you’ve been keeping in the back of your closet all year and rejoice because it is now socially acceptable to let your Christmas freak flag fly.

Now, I’m all for nerding out to Christmas but I do appreciate the classy evenings that come with the season and the many fashionable opportunities to take on.  So how can you show the world your Christmas spirit with your cringe worthy sweater yet look classy AF? Well it is really quite simple.

First of all, embrace the sparkles. It’s Christmas time people and twinkling lights is what the holidays is all about. Give your UCS that vintage feel by adding some tinsel around the bottom or on top as a scarf. You’ll catch eyes at any holiday party. And don’t worry, if you don’t feel like sporting a big happy snowman around on your chest, it is just as festive to pick out a sweater with a classic pattern or just go for a plain cotton sweater and accessorize with a colorful scarf or jewelry.

Lads

Now guys, if you can pull-off a UCS you’ll be the life of the party so I suggest you go for it. For a day-to-night look, coupling your sweater with a dark-wash pair of straight jeans will leave you with minimal prep time. I suggest adding a pair of brown/beige boots to the look such as Timberlands. We are in Canada after all so now is the season to embrace the classic lumberjack look. If your UCS isn’t too crazy you can add flannel underneath for a little layering. If you really want to go for style, add a collared shirt underneath to smooth out that sweater’s rough edges. Another option is to opt-out of the UCS altogether and go for a festive cardigan, it gives the look a little more structure and will keep you looking classy. Top it off with a smart toque for minimal hair care and some cozy vibes.

Lasses

For ladies, there are two types in this world -- girls that go all-out with glitter and girls that keep it minimal.  If you want to go the sparkle route, pair your sweater with a sequined, metallic or even faux leather skirt. Mixing textures will give your look some depth and the shiny fabrics can give it a thrifty feel. It’s this time of year when going all-out for the sparkles can end up looking quite glam. But sometimes glitter can be too much so you can never go wrong with a black pencil skirt and some tights. If you’re going for classy, keep the UCS as the festive focus of the look whilst everything else stays low key. Other accessories involved can be some nice ankle boots because you need that height but gotta be practical in this weather. If your USC isn’t too cluttered go bold and throw on some accessories like a chunky necklace or some sparkly earrings. It’ll tie the look together.

If all else fails, take the comic route and get a sweater with a pop culture references, Christmas Drake anyone? Or this elf selfie (or s-elf-ie, get it?) sweater. Whatever you decide get out there to enjoy the festivities and do it in style.