B1%CK: I see you

I will pass on the words that UBC’s VP Students Ainsley Carry said to me in my first year: “I see you.” He may not have truly grasped the impact those three words had on me. On a campus where it is so easy to feel invisible, small, forgotten or even unwanted, hearing those words meant a lot.

Happy Black History Month! Although this time of year is dedicated to remembering the amazing accomplishments and the fight that we continue to this day in the Black community to simply have a seat at the table, I wanted to take this time to acknowledge the history in the making right here on this campus. This is for you. Yes! You! I want to congratulate you for coming this far. You may not realize it, but it is no small feat. I just wanted to let you know that I SEE YOU!

To you who has ever felt inadequate or has second-guessed your place, you are supposed to be here. You are more than enough. You are here because you have the qualifications and you have what it takes. I know that it may not always feel that way, but I am here to verify, solidify and reemphasize that you are supposed to be here. And don’t you forget it because I SEE YOU.

To you who has been silenced or told to be a little… well, less — never again. Refuse to be silenced. Speak your truth. Your voice is valid and important. Take up as much space as you can and then some. Refuse to be shrunk to anything less than who you truly are. Live sincerely and unapologetically as you. I know it may be a little intimidating but they are already watching, you may as well give them a show because THEY SEE YOU.

To you who have ever felt belittled or scared, I want you to know that you are supported by every brother, sister and other. We stand behind you. So, hold your head up high as we stand in ovation in the presence of the excellence that is you, because WE SEE YOU.

This piece is part of The Ubyssey and UBC Black Student Union's 2023 Black History Month supplement, titled B1%CK. Read the full supplement here, or pick up a print paper on UBC's Vancouver campus.