While UBC Vancouver has always existed on unceded Musqueam territory, various development projects have taken place to turn it into the higher learning institution it is today.

UBC was officially established in 1908 when the BC legislature passed the University Act. Construction of the first buildings for the Point Grey campus began in 1914 and despite many bumps in the road, UBC has continued to expand, both in population size and number of buildings.

The following photographs offer modest insights into the immense changes undergone in the last few decades to develop UBC’s Point Grey campus.

Mirroring select photographs retrieved from the UBC Archives Photograph Collection, Ubyssey photographer Zubair Hirji took the following images on Ilford Delta 400 B&W film with a Canon AE-1.

Then: Union College. Now: Iona Building

Then: Science Building. Now: Chemistry Building

Then: Main Library entrance. Now: Irving K. Barber Learning Centre

Then: Main Library. Now: Irving K. Barber Learning Centre

Then: Great Trek Cairn and the old bus stop. Now: Great Trek Cairn and Main Mall

Then: Main Library. Now: Irving K. Barber Learning Centre

Then: Fire Hall. Now: Old Fire Hall

Then: Agriculture Building. Now: Mathematics Annex

Then and now: Museum of Anthropology

Then: Applied Sciences Building. Now: Geography Building

Then and now: Brock Hall