A sexual (health) fantasy

The most compelling thought about autonomy that I was exposed to in my undergrad was during a conversation about chlamydia.

My third-year microbiology professor made the following provocative argument: if everyone did an STI screening, received appropriate treatment and abstained from sex for one week, we would functionally eradicate certain STIs.

Though not a perfect argument, it stuck with me. The biggest problem with my professor’s proposal is autonomy, specifically your refusal to acknowledge your own.

Advocating for condom use and STI-test transparency are two simple ways to embrace your bodily autonomy alongside some consensual fun. Since many STIs don’t show symptoms, it’s recommended you get tested with each new partner and even add an STI screening to your health routine.

Let me challenge a common misconception: these practices are not offensive. You aren’t being mean or bitchy or stuck up to demand that someone share their STI results or “wrap it up.” Your body is yours and protecting it is a fundamental sexual right that you are owed.

There is no shame in contracting an STI, just as there is no shame in being exposed to pink eye or strep throat. But to refuse consistent screening and condom use is to disregard your sexual partner’s autonomy.

Though the eradication of bacterial STIs may remain a sexual (health) fantasy, empowering students to prioritize their autonomy and sexual health promotes a culture that can be sexy, safe and responsible.

This article is part of Autonomy, The Ubyssey’s 2021 sex issue. You can read more here.