Black on campus: To be a Black woman on campus

The lived experience of a Black woman at UBC is a unique one.

It is one that is often misunderstood and forgotten by the wider community. My first year at UBC was one of learning and many surprises.

I think back to one of the first parties I attended. As I made my way closer to the venue, I grew more and more excited to finally be diving into the university social scene. Mainstream hip-hop tunes blasted through the speakers, while masses of people jumped up and down around me. I felt excited by the new environment I had entered and nevertheless confused. I always dreamt of being a part of a tight-knit Black community in university — one in which I am viewed as more than the “sassy” friend or the friend who “could actually dance.”

Looking around that party, I quickly learned that I was in for a surprise.

Hair was my next hurdle.

I actively searched for a Black hairstylist in the area who could handle my tight curls but was stunned by the few expensive Black salons that I found. I decided then to hide my natural hair under sew-in weaves for the remainder of first year and ignored any further discussion of it. I later realized how I was restricting my Blackness. I was not allowing myself to fully express my Tanzanian-American identity or even explore how my natural hair could be transformed into diverse styles beyond my knowledge.

And so, I end with this: an open letter to the Black women that have impacted my UBC experience thus far. To my sisters I met in Jumpstart, thank you for empowering and accepting me in my truest form, from first year up until now. To my sisters I met through the Africa Awareness Initiative club, thank you for creating a space where dialogue about the African continent and decolonization is shared and encouraged. Finally, to my sisters who I have yet to meet on campus, thank you for being you and providing me with the reassurance that we are stronger when we are together.

This is our month: Black History Month!