Black on Campus: Take Good Care

To the Black Community,

In 2021, the push continues. The stand-in solidarity we must take with our ancestors, survivors of brutality and with ourselves to persist and move forward, is still a present reality.

2020 was a year of resilience, fatigue, pain, violence and strength. Yet, we are here now. Breathe.

We must remind ourselves that we are now, in this present moment, changing and growing, our skin is rich, deep and thick. It is time to heal our communities from the inside out, as we persist as fighters, students and human beings. In these times, be reminded of your adaptability, your focus and your sustained commitment to want more, and do better for yourselves and others. Understanding no one is alone in this fight makes us stronger even when we are far apart. Your consideration and compassion, dedication to your craft and studies make me proud to be part of something great.

From the ordinary to the profound, your day-to-day routines or high-pressure moments have shaped you into who you are today. Unpacking and understanding the complex and varied nature of the Black experience takes time and reflection, so make sure that you take good care of yourself.

This issue highlights the collective efforts of the Black Student Union who are making real change in our communities with great care and pride, from us, by us and for us. I would like to specifically thank Tracy Odhiambo, who shouldered this Co-Presidency with me, and Osuare Atafo, who contributed greatly to this project.