Religion and spirituality

No matter what background you come from, your time at university can be an excellent stage of life to reassess your beliefs, learn about a new religion or spirituality or simply be open to something bigger than yourself and the C- you got on your midterm.

There are many options for discovering (or rediscovering) religion and spirituality on campus. One is to meet with a chaplain — an individual representing a religious, philosophical or spiritual belief. The chaplains at UBC are part of the University Multifaith Chaplains Association and can be found online and in their office in the Life Building.

To learn more about the chaplains, visit students.ubc.ca/campus-life/religion-spirituality/chaplains. There you will find a comprehensive list of the religions and spiritual beliefs represented by the chaplains at UBC, as well as their contact info, programs and places of worship and descriptions to learn more about chaplains’ represented beliefs.

The University Multifaith Chaplains Associations represent Roman Catholics, Sikhs, Anglicans, Presbyterians, Zen Buddhists, Baptists, Muslims, Jews, Chabad-Jews, Pentecostals, Mennonite Brethrens, Christians and Missionary Alliance members.

Typically, chaplains are happy to meet one- on-one. For students who prefer to meet in larger groups, UBC has several religious and spiritual spaces on campus, such as:

• Hillel House (6145 Student University Boulevard)
  • Tenth Church UBC Point Grey (2260 West Mall)
  • Drop-in Zen Meditation (Life Building, Room 2212/2214)
  • St. Anselm’s Anglican Church (5210 University Boulevard)
  • University Chapel (5375 University Boulevard)
  • Chabad-Jewish Student Centre (1867 Acadia Road)
  • St. Mark’s Parish (5935 Iona Drive)

Another way to engage in your spirituality and get to know other students on campus is to join a club. During Clubs Day, you will have a myriad of options such as the Muslim Students Association, University Christian Ministries, Navigators International and Sikhs on Campus, to name a few.

You can also find multifaith prayer rooms in the Wesbrook Building, the West Mall Swing Space, Marine Drive Residence and the Life Building.

And if you’re feeling kind of introverted and would rather explore your spirituality through reading, the University Endowment Lands is also home to Regent College which houses one of the largest theological bookstores in North America.