Queer student resources

Coming to university as a Queer person can be difficult, especially if this the first time you are able to freely express or explore your gender and sexual identity. Here are a few resources and groups at UBC to help you find support and community.

The Pride Collective

The student-run Pride Collective — which is located in room 2103 of the Nest — hosts a variety of social events and resources for 2SLGBTQIA+ students. On the social side, the Collective hosts weekly discussion groups centred around different identities — these are virtual over the summer — and events like dance workshops with Queer dancers. In terms of resources, the Collective runs the gender empowerment store where students can buy gender-affirming clothing for a cheap, subsidized price. There are also many faculty-specific Pride collectives.

UBC Drag

Started by UBC student Liam Hart in the 2021/22 academic year, UBC Drag hosts weekly drag shows at Koerner’s Pub. These shows are convenient for students who can’t easily make their way to Davie Street and feature drag performers from around Vancouver, including many UBC students.

UBC Trans Mentorship Program

Since 2020, this student-run program has paired incoming Trans students with an upper-year Trans student mentor to help with the transition to university and create a comfortable space for these students to meet one another. More information can be found on CampusBase or the program’s Twitter, @ubctrans.

Trans and Nonbinary Student Guide

This online guide created by two UBC students offers incoming gender fluid students with information on accessing gender-confirming healthcare, navigating student housing and other general tips. The guide is updated regularly by UBC’s Equity & Inclusion Office.

CiTR Gender Empowerment Collective

This group of students host a bi-weekly show on CiTR called Intersections where they talk about all things gender, race and social justice. Past episodes of the show can be found on the group’s page on the CiTR website.

Equity & Inclusion Office (EIO)

The EIO is the place to turn if you ever experience any anti-Queer discrimination or harassment on campus. Staff and student employees are available to file complaints and advise students on next steps to take. The office also holds social events throughout Jump Start and the academic year and posts links to cool events and programs happening around Metro Vancouver