Best eats off campus

Eating at your residence dining hall can get pretty old by the time midterms roll around, and other on-campus options are limited and of debatable quality. Here are the best eats in Vancouver for when you can’t face another meal at Open Kitchen!

Jam Cafe

2153 W 4th Avenue / 556 Beatty Street

You’ll know you’ve arrived at the Jam Cafe when you see a lengthy line winding down the sidewalk. Serving brunch seven days a week, the restaurant serves staggering portions of decadent dishes, including pancakes stacked several inches high and many variations of eggs benedict. Jam Cafe is well worth the wait – but be prepared to spend a significant amount of time in line before getting to your breakfast!

The Eatery

3431 W Broadway

The Eatery probably doesn’t serve the best sushi in Vancouver, but it’s still worth a visit. The restaurant is best known for its trippy and colourful decor straight out of a monster movie. It offers dozens of sushi rolls and other dishes with quirky names like the Salmon L. Jackson and the Captain Crunch.

Ramen Danbo

1833 W 4th Avenue / 1333 Robson Street

Ramen Danbo offers, well, ramen, with plenty of options for customization – perfect for the rainiest of winter days. They also offer a vegan menu, and sides such as gyoza and donburi. Wait times can be long, but you can join their waitlist on Yelp to avoid standing in line.

Nuba

Various locations

Perfect for larger groups, Nuba offers Lebanese dishes designed for sharing at locations in Kitsilano, Mount Pleasant, Yaletown and Gastown. There are also numerous vegan options available, including Garden Falafel and roasted eggplant. Though one of the pricier options on the list, dishes at Nuba go a long way when shared amongst a group, especially for special occasions.

Breka Bakery

Various locations

Whether you have a sweet tooth or need coffee to fuel a late-night study session, Breka is the ideal cafe for you. With six locations across Vancouver each open 24 hours a day, Breka always offers an extensive, and often relatively inexpensive, selection of pastries, sandwiches and beverages to suit anyone’s tastes.