Metro Vancouver guide

West 4th (Kitsilano)

West 4th, the core of Kitsilano, is one of the best areas in Vancouver to live, shop and dine. Located a 10-minute walk up from Kitsilano Beach, you can always find something to buy or eat in this trendy neighbourhood. It’s a great place to explore popular brunch spots like Fable Kitchen, Jam Cafe and Sophie’s Cosmic Cafe. For some newly-opened stores, check out Mejuri and Melanie Auld for some dainty and wearable jewelry.

Kerrisdale

For a local, more relaxed neighbourhood with a large population of long-time Vancouver residents, check out Kerrisdale. It’s a nice neighbourhood for a relaxing stroll and is home to some noteworthy high tea locations such as The Secret Garden Tea Company and Adonia Tea House. You can find access to some small grocery stores, boba cafes and even a camera store for developing film!

Downtown

This guide would not be complete without mentioning Downtown Vancouver, the heart of the city. Here, you can partake in some retail therapy on Robson Street, get a tattoo or piercing on Granville Street and bike the seawall. Downtown can be used as a wide umbrella to include smaller, more specific neighbourhoods like Yaletown, West End, Gastown and Coal Harbour — all of which you should visit at least once during your UBC academic career.

Richmond

If you’re looking for a variety of cuisines, this city near Vancouver is the place to visit. Known for its Asian influences, it’s a great spot to find lunchtime dim-sum or late-night hot pot. If you don’t know where to start, Aberdeen Centre is a good starter for a blend of shopping and dining. A bit further into Richmond, you will find Steveston Village, a quaint and picturesque fishing village, perfect for a seafood enthusiast. Also, don’t forget to hit up the relatively new McArthurGlen Designer Outlet to score some deals on your favourite brands.

North Vancouver

North Vancouver is a must-visit if you love the great outdoors. It’s a bit further north of Downtown Vancouver, but it’s a great place to breathe in some fresh air. The Capilano Suspension Bridge is the perfect 140m-long crossing bridge, suspended 70 metres above the Capilano River. For a local ski and snowboarding spot, you can head up to Grouse Mountain in the winter. During the summer season, you can trek the famous Grouse Grind if you’re looking for a physical challenge.