UBC cancels classes for the day due to worsening snow conditions

UBC classes have been cancelled at Point Grey campus for January 15 after weather conditions worsened overnight.

The university posted a notification announcing the cancellation on its website around 6 a.m.

The cancellation applies to all classes beginning at 8 a.m through the rest of the day. The university will post an additional update at 2 p.m. notifying whether evening classes beginning at 5 p.m. will be cancelled.

SFU, BCIT and Langara also announced classes would be cancelled for the day. UBC Robson campus will remain operating as normal.

Although classes have been cancelled, the campus remains open with essential services such as Campus Security continuing to operate. According to the website, non-essential staff are still expected to come to work unless alternate arrangements have been made with a manager beforehand.

Due to the snow conditions, TransLink has also been experiencing multiple delays on many bus routes. TransLink alerts notified commuters to prepare for extra travel time with expectant weather delays.

In a media release issued today at 6:25 a.m., TransLink warned riders to expect “significantly slower service” from heavy snowfall conditions.

“Our priority is to ensure transit services continue to operate, even if they are operating more slowly or with reduced capacity,” reads the media release.

Environment Canada has issued a snowfall warning for Metro Vancouver for January 15, with 10 to 15 centimetres of snow expected over the day.

This is an ongoing story and will be updated as more information becomes available.