Adjunct professors and sessional lecturers hope to start conversations about wages, job security

It is difficult to think of our professors struggling to make ends meet, but due to the conditions faced by sessional faculty, English professor Sarika Bose keeps a relief fund in her office in order to help colleagues when they are unable to afford food for the month.

“There’s a general state of fear. A lot of people are very scared,” said Bose, who also serves as executive of Contract Faculty in the Faculty Administration, regarding the Adjunct Teachers movement at UBC.

On February 25, Adjunct teachers across the United States and Canada protested in a National Walk-Out Day to protest low wages, poor working conditions and a lack of job security.

At UBC, which has over 600 sessional professors, Bose and the rest of the Faculty of Adjunct Professors decided not to walk out but instead to promote discussion on the subject by wearing blue and making an active effort to speak to students and tenured faculty.

UBC Administration and the Contract Faculty Association are currently having discussions on how to resolve these issues.

“We have goodwill on all sides,” said Bose. “The administration is committed to the principle of equity and fairness for all. They are committed to what is best for students which is what we all want.”

While numerous adjunct professors across the U.S. and Canada have expressed dissatisfaction with the lower wages and job instability facing adjunct professors, others believe that determination and collaboration between both sides will yield beneficial results. Sarah Parry has worked in the Faculty of English as a sessional lecturer for nine and a half years.

Parry also hopes that UBC will address the concerns in a way that benefits everyone.

“I am hopeful that President Gupta will consider this issue of injustice and inequity and discern the right ethical course for the administration to adopt," said Parry. "I am hopeful that UBC will show leadership in this area.”

Despite this hope, Parry still deals with the same struggles relevant to many adjunct professors.

“I have a very modest lifestyle and still have large student loans,” said Parry, who works 12 months of the year.

A major complaint from adjunct professors is the amount of work expected of them with little compensation.

“It is very difficult for contract faculty to get a mortgage or support their children through their own first degrees unless they have partner who earns significantly more than they do,” said Parry.

According to Bose, many adjunct professors often have to make a financial sacrifice in order to teach and work in their field.

“People go into their careers because of passion. People are very committed to teaching and research,” said Bose. “People’s identities are bound to these kinds of careers.”

Bose also said that students will face a loss by being taught by professors that are fearful of pushing boundaries and losing their jobs.

“Professors are feeling an insecurity,” said Bose. “Without job security your academic freedom is affected negatively.”

Bose believes that with that the movement needs more popular support campus wide from students and tenured faculty. She encourages dialogue on campus and more understanding for sessional faculty.

Though the current talks with the Administration are slow, Bose believes they are a step in the right direction.

“There’s always room for improvement but I think UBC has done a lot of things right,” said Bose.