Students are eligible for the BC Recovery Benefit. Here’s how to apply

You might be eligible for a little extra government cash this holiday season.

On Tuesday, December 8, the BC government introduced legislation to secure funding for the BC Recovery Benefit, projected to help around 3.7 million British Columbians.

Lucky for us, students can apply. Here’s how you do it.

Who is eligible?

Students who are at least 19 years old and reside in British Columbia on December 18, filed a valid 2019 Canadian personal income tax return and have a social insurance, individual tax or temporary tax number are eligible to apply.

Unlike the Canada Emergency Student Benefit, international students are included in this benefit, given they meet the eligibility requirements.

Even if you don’t meet all of these requirements, take a look at the BC government website. It outlines some specific eligibility criteria based on personal circumstances.

Families are eligible for $1,000 if their income is under $125,000, with adjustments for those making more than $125,000 and for single-parent families. Individuals can qualify for a $500 boost if they earn less than $62,500. A reduced amount is available for individuals earning up to $87,500.

As with other government benefits, don’t apply if you aren’t eligible.

“If you receive a payment and we later determine that you’re not eligible for it, you will be required to repay it,” the BC government website reads.

How can I apply?

You’ll need four things to apply on the government website: your net income from your 2019 tax return; your social insurance, individual tax or temporary tax number; your driver's licence number if you have a BC driver’s licence (but this isn’t necessary); and your direct deposit information.

Unlike past benefits, this benefit will only be issued through direct deposit, so those who apply must have an account with a Canadian financial institution.

Direct deposit information can be found on personal cheques or through your financial institution.

When can I apply?

Online applications open on December 18.