Campus safety alert issued for convicted sex offender

Update Thursday, May 25, 1:14 am: According to CBC, Ratelle has been arrested on May 24 due to violating a “non-violent condition of his long-term supervision order.”

UBC has just released a campus safety alert for Cameron Eugene Ratelle, a convicted sex offender who was spotted on campus on April 7.

He was subsequently banned from the university's ground, but still “would be living at a Vancouver halfway house” according to the Vancouver Police Department's (VPD) media release.

The alert is further motivated by the VPD's assessment that Ratelle “poses a risk of significant harm to the safety of young women, particularly those 16 to 25 years-old.” In particular, he was also evaluated to have “a moderate to high risk for violent and sexual re-offending” by the Correctional Service of Canada.

Ratelle is described as a black male, 5 feet 8 inches, 185 pounds, with a stocky build, shaved head and brown eyes. He also often uses hearing aids.

He was previously “convicted of sexual assault against a person under the age of 18, as well as university women living on campuses in Ontario,” but is now free under statutory release.

To stay safe after dark, UBC recommends using the buddy system or services, such as AMS SafeWalk or Campus Security services.

“If you see Ratelle on campus, call 911 immediately,” wrote the campus safety alert.