Candidate profile: David “Aloha Dave” Brown, President

David “Aloha Dave” Brown graduated high school in the early ’60s. Unable to attend university because of financial reasons, he worked and toured with various bands and drove taxis. After finding retiring not challenging enough, he applied to UBC. While studying at UBC, he has been learning skills that may still see him working in the movie industry such as directing, acting, scriptwriting and cinematography.

Describe your platform and what makes you different from your competitors.

Basically I have a four point platform. It’s number one is why I’m running, that the divest of the oil shares that I seriously voted on over two years ago and nothing’s been done. I’m so upset at that I’ve decided to run for president. So having studied up west wing and everything to get my presidential credentials happening, I’ve expanded my platform to include free tuition. One of my third platform things … is when I am president I would like all 41 departments at our council table to come up with a report. Just a quick report about where their department will be as far as 10 years, 20 years and 50 years. My other platform is to set up UBC TV. Similar to CiTR radio, only a television station that broadcasts our council meetings, numero uno, to encourage student participation.

So on that note, what are the challenges that you think this position is facing next year?

Mostly the slowness of ,“Let’s have a meeting about having a meeting.” I’d like to get this initiated right off the bat once I’m president, all four of those platforms. Not have more meetings and talk-talk-talk about it — the year will go by really quickly. I’d like to have it set up as soon as possible without a lot of talk-talk-talk.

What is something that your predecessor did that you agreed with and something you disagreed with?

Well I didn’t follow most of the meetings myself for something that I agreed with. But there’s been nothing done about the 100 million shares of oil, which is what I totally disagree with. The same with Tanner Bokor, the previous president, this is two presidents come and gone. The article in The Vancouver Sun last week said it was 110 million and now it’s only worth 85 million — the headline that UBC goes the way of dinosaurs.

Was there one thing that you agreed with that they did?

No, because I didn’t follow the council.

What is the most important body or person that you need to collaborate with in this role and how will you foster a relationship with them?

Well, I was thinking of filing for a divorce with the Board of Dinosaurs. Irreconcilable differences. Seventy-seven per cent of us voted to get rid of us over two years ago. I keep reading more articles about fiduciary duty. I’ve had it! I’m filing for a divorce.

What do you think the weakest part of your campaign is?

The weakest part would be my financial obligations. I can only do so much with the shortness of the campaign [and] put up a video of Aloha Dave for president at Yahoo.com, which shows a few things on my campaign. But because it’s only a 12-day campaign, I can’t really flesh out all of the details.

Interview has been edited and condensed for clarity.

Correction: This article previously referred to Tanner Bokor as "Tanner Broker." The Ubyssey regrets this error.