Possible COVID-19 exposure at Wreck Beach, health agency says

Wreck Beach visitors on August 15 were possibly exposed to COVID-19, Vancouver Coastal Health (VCH) announced today.

The health agency tweeted today a warning of possible exposure for beach visitors throughout that day.

“This possible exposure is believed to be low risk, but if you visited on this day, please self-monitor for symptoms,” VCH tweeted.

There is no known risk to those who visited Wreck Beach on other dates.

The weekend of August 15 to 16 saw a video showing large crowds packing Wreck Beach, with few in the video seen wearing masks.

In an August 18 emailed statement, Metro Vancouver estimated that 8,000 people visited Wreck Beach on August 15.

The province has stepped up COVID-19 restrictions in an effort to curb increasing active case numbers.

Provincial health officials announced August 21 that police have the power to levy a fine of $2,000 to party organizers and $200 to event attendees disobeying police orders.

BC saw 124 new cases today, the record single-day high in the province. Provincial Health Officer Dr. Bonnie Henry has warned that young people aren’t immune to the effects of the virus, with two thirds of the 893 cases from July 6 to August 6 being people under 40.

“Spending time in nature is an effective way to reduce stress and support physical and mental wellbeing – but only if park visitors are careful and sensible. We ask all park visitors to please do their part to reduce crowding and to keep each other safe,” said Tom McComb, park operations supervisor at Metro Vancouver in an email about the Wreck Beach video.

“Please maintain a physical distance of at least two metres from others as much as possible, including in parking lots and trail entrances, to help keep our parks open. Together we make our region strong.”