COVID-19 at UBC: 8 cases last week, new exposure notice in Totem Park

The UBC neighbourhood saw eight cases of COVID-19 between December 3 and 9, according to new data released by the BC Centre for Disease Control.

This is the first time the BCCDC has released specific case numbers on its COVID-19 dashboard. Previously it only published the case rate out of 100,000 residents. Earlier this week, data showed that UBC had a daily case rate of five cases per 100,000 residents. Now, the BCCDC is reporting a daily case rate of six per 100,000 residents, a slight increase.

Testing positivity has stayed stable at two per cent.

BCCDC data only includes people with a permanent address in the UBC community health area and does not include commuter students.

Vaccination rates have also remained stable. Ninety-eight per cent of residents 12+ have received their first dose, while 96 per cent have received their second.

Of children 5–11, 22 per cent have received their first dose of a COVID-19 vaccine, a four per cent increase from earlier this week. Of residents who are 70 or older, 66 per cent have received their third dose, a six per cent increase from earlier this week.

This slight increase in cases comes as the UBC Covid Tracker reported on Twitter that Vancouver Coastal Health sent a COVID-19 exposure notice to residents in Totem Park on December 10.

According to the letter, the exposure occurred between December 1 and 5, and only those identified as a close contact will be contacted by public health and asked to self-isolate or self-monitor. Residents in Totem Park were asked to self-monitor their symptoms and health for 14 days.

VCH previously sent out similar exposure notices to residents of Totem Park in March of this year