Food security resources available over winter break

Even with the arrival of December and finals and holiday season coming up, food security is still a big concern for many students on and off campus.

Here's what resources will and will not be available in the final weeks of the year at UBC and around Greater Vancouver.

AMS Food Bank

In a statement sent to The Ubyssey, the AMS said the Food Bank, located in the basement of Life Building, will be operating until December 22 and reopening on January 5. The Holiday Hamper program will also be available for people signed up to the program, with distributions happening on December 19 and 22 at the usual pickup area at the Food Bank, where additional food resources can be obtained.

Acadia Food Hub

The Acadia Food Hub located at the Academic Commons Block, a UBC community project that aims to provide food and baby supplies on campus will be distributing resources between December 15 and 29, typically from 12:30 to 4 p.m.

Greater Vancouver Food Bank

The Greater Vancouver Food Bank will be open for food distribution in all locations — Vancouver , Burnaby, North Vancouver and New Westminster — from Tuesdays to Saturdays, with varying times depending on the location. from December 20–24 the Food Banks will be closed due to monthly maintenance.

Agora Café and Sprouts

In statements sent to The Ubyssey, Agora Café and Sprouts, UBC's student-run food outlets, said they would be closed during winter break but will resume operations on January 7.

Kiwaasa Neighbourhood House Community Food Market

Kiwaasa Neighbourhood House hosts a produce market on Wednesdays from 2–4 p.m. at Pandora Park in East Van. According to its website, fresh fruit and vegetables are available at an affordable price, with one or two free items also available each week.

This article was updated at 11:07 a.m. on December 12 to correct dates related to the AMS Food Bank and Holiday Hamper program. A previous version also incorrectly attributed the Holiday Hamper program to the GSS. The Ubyssey regrets these errors.

This article was further updated at 12:11 p.m. on December 13 to add new resources and remove the Cedar Cottage Food Network's Produce Box Program. According to an email sent to The Ubyssey after the piece was published, the Cedar Cottage Food Network does not have funding to support this program.