Frank Laezza appointed UBC's VP finance and operations

Frank Laezza has been appointed UBC’s new VP finance and operations.

Interim UBC President Deborah Buszard announced the appointment in a broadcast message Wednesday morning. Laezza is currently the chief financial officer at Murdoch University in Australia, and will begin at UBC on March 13, 2023.

In the role, Laezza will be responsible for managing UBC’s finances and capital resources. This includes overseeing UBC’s annual budget — although Laezza will be joining UBC at the end of the 2023/24 budgeting process, two weeks before the budget usually goes to the Board of Governors for final approval.

Buszard highlighted Laezza’s experience in financial and operational leadership in the broadcast message, as well as with “IT transformation” and Workday software. UBC currently uses Workday for human resources and is replacing its Student Information System with the software.

The previous VP Finance and Operations Peter Smailes left UBC in May. The role has since been split into two interim roles: VP finance and VP operations. Karamjeet Heer was interim VP finance until October 31, and the role is currently held by former Treasurer Yale Loh. Former Associate VP Facilities John Metras is the current interim VP operations.

Buszard thanked Heer, Metras and Loh for their leadership in the interim period and welcomed Laezza to UBC.

“I look forward to Mr. Laezza joining UBC’s Executive team and ask that you join me in welcoming him to the university.”