Go Global exchanges cancelled for term 2

Go Global has cancelled exchanges for winter term 2, according to an October 7 email sent to students.

Go Global exchanges were suspended due to COVID-19 in March as more than 300 students were asked to end their trips early. In June, the university further cancelled winter term 1 and full-term exchanges.

The new term 2 cancellations are in line with provincial and federal guidelines, Go Global said.

“After careful consideration, UBC has made the difficult decision to cancel all university-related international travel for students for term 2 as a result of the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic,” Go Global said in the email. “Unfortunately, this means that all Term 2 and Split Year Go Global exchange and study abroad programs are cancelled.”

Students cannot defer their exchanges to 2021/22.

The email told students to “make plans to study at UBC in term 2.” Students who have already paid will have their Go Global fee refunded in the coming weeks to students’ tuition accounts.

Students who planned to go on exchange in their own country can request to still go on the exchange, but Go Global said these situations would be “subject to a high-risk authorization process through Go Global, and approval by the host university.” The request must be submitted by Tuesday, October 13 at 9:00 a.m. PST.