In Photos: UBC students walkout to stand in solidarity with Wet'su'wet'en

On Wednesday, March 4, hundreds of UBC students participated in the National Student Walk Out in support of Wet’suwet’en land defenders who are aiming to block construction of the Coastal GasLink pipeline on their unceded territory. The event started off with a rally in front of the Nest where speeches and chants took place. The organizers then moved to block the intersection of Wesbrook Mall and University Boulevard. The blockade continued until around 7:45 p.m. when the demonstration disbanded.

Students marched to the intersection of University Boulevard and Wesbrook Mall, blocking the bus loop.
Students marched to the intersection of University Boulevard and Wesbrook Mall, blocking the bus loop. Diego Lozano
Students first assembled in the U-Square plaza outside the Nest.
Students first assembled in the U-Square plaza outside the Nest. Sophie Galloway
Indigenous speakers led the students in chants of solidarity.
Indigenous speakers led the students in chants of solidarity. Sophie Galloway
Students hoist banners in support of the Wet’suwet’en.
Students hoist banners in support of the Wet’suwet’en. Elizabeth Wang
Hundreds of students gather in front of the Nest.
Hundreds of students gather in front of the Nest. Elizabeth Wang
Chalaya Moonias, vice-president of the AMS Indigenous Committee, speaks to the students.
Chalaya Moonias, vice-president of the AMS Indigenous Committee, speaks to the students. Elizabeth Wang
The walk-out attracted students, faculty and staff alike.
The walk-out attracted students, faculty and staff alike. Elizabeth Wang
Many attendees brought signs and banners of their own.
Many attendees brought signs and banners of their own. Elizabeth Wang
According to the United Nations Declaration on the Rights of Indigenous Peoples (UNDRIP), governments must get consent before they can build on Indigenous land.
According to the United Nations Declaration on the Rights of Indigenous Peoples (UNDRIP), governments must get consent before they can build on Indigenous land. Elizabeth Wang
A student at the walk out.
A student at the walk out. Elizabeth Wang