Search for missing UBC grad student Jordan Naterer suspended as hat and glasses found

The search for Jordan Naterer, a UBC grad student who was reported missing last Monday, has been suspended, his father said.

Naterer was reported missing after he failed to show up for a Thanksgiving dinner this past long weekend. In an initial report, the Vancouver Police Department (VPD) said his car, a black 2016 Honda Civic, was found at Frosty Mountain Trailhead in EC Manning Provincial Park. Naterer was last seen on October 10 wearing black pants, white running shoes and a green backpack.

Since the original police report, community members and police have found clues to his disappearance. Greg Naterer, Jordan’s father, told CBC on Monday that Jordan’s hat and glasses have been found on Frosty Peak along with “off-trail footprints.”

"[The VPD] suspended the search ... despite our objections on Saturday and said they would re-activate if there were clues, and we believe a significant new clue was found yesterday,” Greg Naterer told CBC.

He tweeted asking the VPD to use “thermal imaging helicopters, dogs [and] drones” to continue the search.

The VPD said the search was called off on Saturday evening due to “advice of [search and rescue] teams” and “lack of additional information.” Constable Tania Visintin said that at this time, the VPD has “followed up on all leads.”

“The VPD’s Major Crime Missing Persons Unit has been actively searching for Jordan Naterer since October 13,” Visintin wrote in an email. “Despite the efforts of police agencies, several teams of search and rescue experts, Mr. Naterer’s many family and friends, he has not been located.”

Visintin called Naterer’s case “very rare.”

“It’s always our goal to locate missing persons as soon as possible and their files are never closed. Our investigators will continue to investigate any additional information that becomes available,” Visintin wrote.

The VPD encourage anyone with information about the whereabouts of Naterer to contact them at 604-717-3321.

This article has been updated to include comment from the VPD.