Burb Cannabis seeks green light to open non-medical cannabis store in University Village

Metro Vancouver is seeking the public's input on the potential opening of a new cannabis store in University Village.

On May 6, Burb Cannabis Corporation applied to the University Endowment Lands (UEL) to amend the UEL Land Use, Building and Community Administration Bylaw to allow for the conditional use of a non-medical cannabis retail store at 5784 University Boulevard.

In September 2019, BC's Liquor and Cannabis Regulation Brand awarded Burb, a cannabis lifestyle brand, two cannabis retail store licences. These licences allowed Burb to add recreational cannabis products to the shelves of both its retail stores in Port Coquitlam.

Now in 2021, Burb is seeking to open a non-medical cannabis store in University Village.

Metro Vancouver Director for Electoral Area A Jen McCutcheon said the cannabis application would first need to go through the UEL rezoning application process. If it passes, that will go to Metro Vancouver for final approval.

According to the Manager of UEL John Braman, the UEL Official Community Plan has the policy to consider up to one cannabis retail store, subject to appropriate approvals.

"The application is seeking a Cannabis Retail Store Licence from the Liquor and Cannabis Regulation Branch, a separate process through the Ministry of Public Safety and Solicitor General," he said.

Before any decisions regarding the rezoning application are made, UBC/UEL/UNA residents can submit comments to the Metro Vancouver Regional District (MVRD). Residents' comments will inform MVRD's recommendations on the licensee's application to the BC Liquor and Cannabis Regulation Branch (LCRB).

McCutcheon encouraged anyone who has an opinion on this application to submit their comments to planUEL@gov.bc.ca. Representatives of the Electoral Area A will be accepting comments until 4 p.m. on June 9.

"As your Electoral Area A representative, I encourage residents to participate in all local land use planning processes."