Over 200,000 petition South Korea for harsher DUI punishments after death of UBC alumna

A petition for more severe punishments for driving under the influence after UBC alumna Yeelin Tseng died in South Korea has reached over 228,000 signatures.

Tseng was hit by a drunk driver on November 6. She graduated from UBC in 2015 with a BA in psychology, according to a LinkedIn profile under her name. Tseng is also listed as an alumna of the Hewitt Lab in the psychology department.

“She was a great student,” psychology lecturer Dr. Benjamin Cheung said on Reddit. “Really smart, kind and enthusiastic about her future, and really chatty during office hours. It’s really so sad.”

The petition, created by Tseng’s parents and an unnamed friend, is calling on the South Korean government to impose stricter punishments for driving under the influence of alcohol.

A Reddit user posted instructions to sign the petition, which was written in Korean.

As of December 9, the petition has surpassed its goal of 200,000 signatures. It remains open until December 23.

“She was my closest friend and beloved neighbour, nearing five years of residence in Korea as a foreigner. She was a passionate student who worked harder for her dreams than anyone else,” a translation of the petition reads.

“We urge stronger penalties for drunk driving-related crimes so that this tragic event will never repeat for any of our families, our friends and our loved ones.”

This article has been updated to include a photo of Tseng and the end date of the petition.