More than 1,100 petition frats to stop holding in-person events

More than 1,100 people have signed a petition asking the Interfraternity Council to stop holding in-person events due to COVID-19 concerns.

The petition mentions annual rush events, which the Interfraternity Council (IFC) said it will allow to take place in person this year at events with under 50 people.

“In order to keep our campus safe, we must stop the fraternities from hosting such events,” the petition reads.

“This is not the time to engage in such risky behaviours. Their actions will have consequences affecting the greater UBC community and our already burdened health care officials.”

The IFC did not respond to requests for comment.

According to a September 8 statement released by IFC President Tommi Redl, UBC VP Students Ainsley Carry and UBC Sororities President Ariel Cao, all participants taking part in rush must follow the proper BC health guidelines of hand hygiene, social distancing, and wearing face coverings.

The petition comes as a video of an alleged party in the Beta Theta Pi fraternity house surfaced on Reddit. In the September 27 video, around 10 people can be seen standing near the house’s entrance. One person can be heard saying, “Why aren’t we dancing?”

Greek life organizations have been hotspots for coronavirus transmission across the United States, and with the rising number of cases in BC, some students feel that the IFC should provide alternatives for the rush process.

Some students were concerned that the fraternities on campus were not following BC provincial health guidelines.

Alyssa Yu, a third-year environmental sciences student, said in messages to The Ubyssey that she signed the petition because she believes the IFC’s decision was “unnecessary.” She was concerned about the Reddit video because she lives close to the frat houses.

She said that the frats should determine a way to hold events “responsibly, or don’t do it at all.”

“Other student organizations and clubs have opted to hold online events or cancel events entirely, even though that burdens their execs/event planning team with more logistical problems,” Yu said.

“I don’t see why frats can’t do the same.”