Campus security issues warning about rising theft from parked vehicles

UBC Campus Security is warning students about an increasing rate of theft from parked vehicles on campus.

In the past two months, Campus Security has tracked an upswing in the rate of items being stolen from cars in the north, south and west parking areas of UBC.

Campus Safety and Security Executive Director Rob McCloy said the increase is relatively small, but wants to encourage drivers to take precautions.

“We saw an increase above the norm,” said McCloy.

University RCMP Staff Sergeant Chuck Lan said that the rate of theft from autos in the office’s jurisdiction— which includes campus as well as communities like Wesbrook Village— has jumped significantly, with 28 thefts reported between January and March of this year. Lan said that is a 76 per cent increase from the same time period in 2017.

Lan also noted that theft from autos is a “crime of opportunity,” that usually occurs when drivers leave their valuables in plain sight.

“We see this an opportune time to remind people ... lock your cars, take your valuables with you or put them in the trunk.” said McCloy.

The main target has been typical high-value property like laptops, but Campus Security said common items such as clothing and footwear have also been taken.

There were 20 reported incidents of theft from parked vehicles on campus in 2017 — nine more than the previous year according to the 2017 Campus Security Report. Of those incidents, six occurred at the Museum of Anthropology and Botanical Garden parking lot and three at the Rose Parkade, with overall thefts concentrated on the north end of campus.

Lan said recent thefts were concentrated around the North Parkade near Walter Gage.

“Most of the UBC commercial theft models have occurred during the day when residents are parking,” said Lam. “Most of it is during the daytime hours and early evening.”

['']
[''] UBC Vancouver Annual Campus Security Report 2017

The 2017 report says the spike in auto theft was due to “several prolific offenders” who were active on campus last year. Lan said that after one of those offenders was recently brought into custody, the rate of theft from vehicles has already dropped.

“Since his arrest, we’ve noticed a substantial decrease ... we can conclude that likely this person has been likely suspect in many of these thefts from autos,” said Lan.

“Certainly, he’s not the only one committing these types of crimes. We have to remain vigilant.”

Campus Security is working with the RCMP to increase patrol rates of common theft areas. In the meantime, it asks community members to take extra precautions by concealing any property in their car and informing authorities of any suspicious activity, particularly as the summer approaches.

“It’s a great time to remind everybody, especially with summer coming up here soon — make sure your windows are pulled up. If you’ve got a convertible, remember to roll up and make sure to put your cell phone away,” said McCloy.

This article has been updated to include information and comment from university RCMP.